Now with 150 million users, Facebook are celebrating their 5th birthday with a range of events and activity.
- There is a free Facebook 5th birthday 'Thank You' gift in the Facebook virtual gift shop that can be shared with friends and connections.
Facebook 5th birthday virtual gift 'Thank You Card'
- Facebook have also published a retrospective gallery showing how the site's homepage has evolved over the last 5 years:
However, I think potentially the most interesting piece of activity around Facebook's 5th birthday could be on BBC Radio Five Live later on today. The Five Live breakfast show have launched an official Five Live Breakfast Facebook fan page (currently 13 fans) and have started promoting the fact that the BBC Five Live breakfast show will be celebrating 5 years of Facebook. But I don't know if this is an official tie up or an opportunistic piece of programming from the BBC?
Either way it will be interesting to see what Five Live actually do to celebrate Facebook's Fifth birthday - I wonder how many Facebook fans they have by the end of the show!
Various Facebook usage statistics can be found here and my retrospective of favourite Facebook related posts is below:
- February 2007 - 'Facebook - it seems to be doing rather well'
- July 2007 - Facebook hits the mainstream - 'Fergie fears Facebook WAG danger' + Prince William starts (and stops) + Gordon the Tramp gets a Facebook profile
- December 2007 - Pensionbook - 'Facebook for old people'
- February 2008 - 'The Facebook song' and the 'Getting Bored of Facebook Anthem'
- May 2008 - My first list of the largest Facebook Fan Pages
- June 2008 - Facebook translation application and list of now supported languages
- July 2008 - Facebook massive in Chile and I appear on page 3 of a Chilean national newspaper!
- September 2008 - Facebook Pirate language launched for International Talk Like A Pirate Day
- November 2008 - New York Times offer Barack Obama Facebook free gift
- January 2009 - Is Facebook / CNN coverage of the Inauguration a watershed moment for TV?
Happy 5th birthday Facebook!