Towards the end of July Spotify unveiled their iPhone App for Spotify premium users:
This then went into the Apple approval process, was recently approved and today Spotify became available for download from the iPhone App store:
The Spotify Application Description states: "Spotify opens up your iPhone to a world of music. Unlimited, unrestricted, instant access to your favourite tunes - wherever you are - all wrapped up in a simple, user-friendly interface."
The Spotify iPhone App "features:
- Access to millions of tracks with Spotify's constantly updated catalogue
- Search and stream music instantly. Browse by artist, title, album, genre, label or year
- Listen to tracks and albums in their entirety. Rewind, fast-forward, pause, skip and shuffle
- Create and synch playlists. Updates from the desktop application will be synched instantly
- Playlists can be accessed even in areas of limited / no mobile connection
- View cover art for all tracks and albums"
[NB: Spotify iPhone App usage subject to Spotify Premium Subscription]
So does this change the future of music online? Are we moving to an era where streaming will replace downloading (and maybe even offer record companies a revenue opportunity at the same time?)
Spotify integrating into Broadband packages
Twitter on Spotify